NYC is a great place to live. The salaries and the standard of living are high, there is always an opportunity to land a great job and get a top-notch education. And, one thing is for sure – you will never get bored! It does not matter whether you are a party maniac or a chill person, whether you are an outdoor or indoor person – New York gets you covered. However, if you are moving with family in NYC, you must plan your relocation well! Not every NYC borough and neighborhood is suitable for children. But, do not worry, we are here to help. Keep on reading to find out how to plan and organize your NYC move and what you must do before moving with family in NYC.
A Family Meeting is a Must!
First things first, before moving with family in NYC, you must have a family meeting. This is especially important for children. They are probably going to feel scared and sad because they have to leave all their friends and everybody they know. So, try to explain to your children why this move was necessary and how your family will benefit from it. Focus on the more positive aspect of the move – living in a better place, meeting new friends, doing all the fun things New York has to offer, etc. Moreover, during this family meeting, you should also split the chores. Ask your children to pack their rooms at least. This can actually be a fun event for them and can make them feel excited too!
Find Your New Home and Get Blueprints
Another thing you absolutely must do before moving with family in NYC is to find your new home. Unless you want to spend a fortune on hotels and storage for your belongings. Moreover, if you want to settle down in NYC with a baby, you will have to relocate fast. Thus, as soon as you set your moving date, start looking for homes. If possible hire a real estate agent. Bear in mind that New York City is gigantic and there are plenty of homes to choose from. Yes, this is great, but at the same time, seeing every home will not be possible. This is where real estate agents come in handy. You just have to know what you want and an agent will help you find a home that suits both your needs and your budget.
Moreover, once you do find your new home, try to get its blueprints. By doing this, you will know the exact dimensions and the room layouts. Bear in mind that houses and apartments in New York City come with hefty price tags and that you will probably have to downsize a lot. These blueprints will help you decide which furniture to bring with you, and which to leave behind. Moreover, you can show the blueprints to your children, and decide on the room layout together. This will get them excited for sure!
Downsize and Declutter
As previously mentioned, moving with family in NYC will be really expensive, especially if you are moving from a small city to NY. The cost of living is high, rents are high and the relocation will also come with a hefty price tag. What you can do to lower your expenses is to declutter your current home and downsize the amount of stuff you plan on relocating. Thus, once again, have a family meeting and discuss what items are really necessary for all of you and what can you leave behind. Yes, getting rid of your belongings can be overwhelming for the entire family, but try to focus on the positive – you will save a lot of money and be able to enjoy New York City. Thus, prepare a lot of boxes and bins and start sorting out. For example:
- Donate – If you have some furniture you do not plan on bringing, or some items you no longer use, consider donating them. You will make somebody really happy.
- Sell – And, if your old furniture or some household items are still in great shape, you can earn some extra cash by selling them. Do it online or organize a yard sale.
- Keep – Really think through what is necessary and irreplaceable, and, bring only that.
- Throw away – If some of your belongings are simply damaged, broken or useless, do not think much, let them hit the bin.
Choose the Best NYC Neighborhood For Your Family
Not every NYC neighborhood will be suitable for children. Some places are not safe, some are crowded with tourists, and some are just noisy 24/7. NYC goes by the name – a city that never sleeps, for a reason. It is on everybody’s bucket list. But do not let that scare you. There are many neighborhoods in NY that are safe, quiet, have great schools and are suitable for children. For instance:
- Park Slope – a popular destination for many families. Schools are top-notch, the crime rate is close to zero, and there are no night clubs so it is pretty quiet. And, your little ones will really love growing up here as there are many activities for children. So, if you plan on moving around the corner in Park Slope, do it fast!
- Williamsburg – great for families who like to be active. Parks, pools, skating rinks, and bowling allies are everybody’s favorite here. And, what locals really pride in is their close-knit community. Williamsburg is definitely one of the best NYC boroughs of Brooklyn.
- Riverdale – if you love being in nature, you will love Riverdale. Here you will be right next to the third-largest park in NYC where you and your family can enjoy all-year-round activities.