If you have decided to relocate to NYC and start living in this city, congratulations on that! Most people are dreaming about living in the Big Apple, which is a really logical thing. Having a huge population, a lot of opportunities, a lifestyle that is on a high level, this city really sounds like a suitable place for living. Like the situation in every city, living in NYC will also change you once you adapt and become a New Yorker. However, what are you going to do about the place of your living? Logically, you will probably have to rent a place in the first period. But, living as a rental tenant in NYC has it owns pros and cons of doing it. In this article, we will present to you what the good sides are and which problems you can face as a rental tenant.
In general, why living in NYC is a good thing?
Firstly, let’s define what the good sides of living in NYC are. We have mentioned that a lot of opportunities and a huge city are one of them. The most important thing is that you can be sure that you will find your place in this city and that you will adapt really fast. While the time is passing you will become a local in no time and you will have a feeling that you have been living in this city for a long period. Of course, in the beginning, living as a rental tenant in NYC is a thing that you will have to experience before you buy an apartment in NYC. However, be patient and take your time. Remember that living in NYC is a privilege if you use wisely all the options you have.
Which problems you can face as a rental tenant in NYC?
Now, we would like to present to you which problems you can face as a rental tenant. Here is a list of them:
- Number 1: Finding a suitable option for you. – Even if it sounds strange, it is often like this. We have mentioned that NYC has a huge population. However, the first problem you might face as a rental tenant in NYC is not finding instantly the right option for you. In other words, it can take days or months before you find someplace to rent.
- Number 2: The prices of renting in some parts of the city can be expensive. – As you probably know, living in Manhattan costs. So, you should think about where you can look for your future place. For example, if you decide to move to Queens, you can find affordable prices in this borough.
- Number 3: Huge deposits. – In almost every case, you will have to pay for a deposit. What is unfair for the rental tenant is that he landlords charge huge amounts as deposits.
- Number 4: Not having your own privacy. – You can never be completely free in your apartment or a house. Landlords can come to a house or an apartment without a previous announcement when you do not expect them to show.
- Number 5: The landlord will not return your deposit in the exact amount. – When the time comes for you to leave the rental place, another problem that you might face is that the landlord will not return you the deposit. Even if he does, most often it will not be in the exact amount you have paid for it.
As you can see, these are the most common problems that every rental tenant can face in NYC. However, when you find a place that you will rent, there are still some things you should make a deal with your landlord.
Start preparing your belongings for the relocation
Speaking about deciding which items you are going to relocate, you should start on time. Make a selection of them and separate them into categories. When you have completed it, it is time to start packing. Keep in mind that it is an important thing that they are packed and secured in the safest way. If you are not sure which materials to use, there is a solution. You just have to do good research and learn about varieties of moving supplies. Find out which of the materials are suitable for your belongings.
Ask your landlord how many items you can put in the rental place
Another potential problem is that you will not have enough space where you are about to start living. So, you should contact or go in person with your landlord and see what the size of the place is and if the belongings are going to fit inside it or not. In the case that a landlord does not allow you to put all of them in the rental place, there is a solution for it. You just have to look for storage in New York City with controlled conditions. This is an option that you should consider. Be sure that your belongings will be protected and secured in the best way.
Make a contract with your landlord
To secure your stay in the rental place and to avoid any kind of problems as a rental tenant in NYC, you should make a contract with the landlord. The contract will be helpful to protect yourself while you are staying there. A good option is to give your landlord a suggestion about what a contract should include. Write down all the things that you think are important for your privacy and for protecting your interest. However, do not forget that you are paying for rent. So, make a balance and try to find the middle that will satisfy the landlord and you.
Facing and dealing the problems is an important thing
As you can see, even if you might have problems as a rental tenant in NYC, you need to know what types they can be and how to deal with them. Do not forget that you have an opportunity to live in New York and that you should use it wisely. Be patient and take your time. With good solutions and wise decisions, you can face every problem!